Lancia Theta 35hp
Hugh W Poling firstname.lastname@example.org
DescriptionThe 1913 35 HP Theta was Lancia's first really successful model, with a number of innovative features. Lancia was the first European manufacturer to supply a car with electrical circuitry as standard, including a foot-operated electric starter, an American Kettering generator, two headlights, two driving lights, a tail-lamp and dashboard lights. Thanks to the starter, the cranking-handle was no longer fitted, although one was provided as part of the toolkit. Another unusual feature was the adoption of wheels in sheet steel, or with steel spokes instead of the wooden wheels used on earlier models (wire wheels were also available as an option).
The Theta had a four cylinder, 4940 cc engine (bore and stroke of 110 x 130 mm), using a patented three-jet Lancia carburettor. The output of this engine was 70 bhp at 2200 RPM, giving a top speed of 120 km/h. Two different wheelbases were available, 3100 or 3378mm, with a chassis weight of 1060 kg. The luxuriously-equipped (for the time) car enjoyed great success in America and Britain, and continued to be built even after the First World War, a total production run of almost 1700 units.
Maintainer: Andrew Cliffe
Last update: 1st April 2001