Lancia Gamma 20hp

Authors

Description

The 20 HP Gamma was built in 1910, using a slightly larger version of the 15 HP Beta's four cylinder engine. For the time, it was a successful model with a production run of 258 units, though some were not sold until 1913. Phaeton, sedan and landaulet bodies were available from the factory, as well as at least one five-seater light van.

The main features were an engine capacity of 3460 cc (bore and stroke 100mm x 110mm) producing 40 bhp at 1500 RPM, Lancia dual jet carburettor, multidisc oilbath clutch, gearbox with four forward speeds and reverse, wooden (or optionally wire) wheels with 820x120 tires, pedal brake on the transmission and lever-operated brake for the rear tires. Five different chassis were available, with three different wheelbases of 2740mm, 2932mm and 4200mm (2932 mm being the standard). { Editor's note - 'La Lancia' claims 3227mm rather than 4200mm }

For competition use there was the option of a 150mm long-stroke engine, giving a 4714 cc capacity. The chassis weight was 820 kg and the top speed around 100 km/hr with the standard engine. In its comments on the Paris Motor Show of that year, a motoring magazine spoke of the the generalized admiration "for the light Italian car, so fast and easy to drive, untiring and strong, which bears the name of the agile powerful weapon used by calvary troops."

The car had some competition success, including second places in the 1911 and 1912 Targa Florio, and Lancia himself drove his last race in a Gamma at Modena in 1910.


Maintainer: Andrew Cliffe
Last update: 1st April 2001